|Global Bilingual Academy|
|English as a Second Language (ESL) Program Overview|
|ESL Department Newsletter|
Global Bilingual Academy provides a program for English language learners (ELL) to increase students’ English language skills, so their academic performance is equivalent to native English-speaking students of the same age and grade level. The focus is to provide the educational opportunities that will enable the ELL to be an independent learner who is successful in the classroom. The ESL program provides consultation at the grade one level and a continuum of services from kindergarten through the fifth grade that develops both Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) and Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP).
Students’ performance on language proficiency, school-wide assessments, records reviews, and referrals are used to identify potential students eligible for the ESL program. These results, along with the student’s academic performance, are used to determine eligibility for program placement and services.
Using a variety of program delivery models and providing a continuum of support services, general education and ESL teachers have a shared responsibility to ensure all students enrolled in the ESL program reach full educational parity, and to provide a language-rich environment that promotes high expectations for academic achievement. ELLs are immersed within the general curriculum and receive instructional services through support in a collaborative classroom.
Emphasis should be placed on supporting the student’s performance and mastery of English in the content areas. Learning language through the content areas enables the student to acquire age/grade appropriate content standards while developing English language proficiency. While English is the language of instruction, students are encouraged to continue to develop proficiency in their first language as they acquire English. Teachers are encouraged to validate the first culture and language by connecting the curriculum with the student’s personal experiences while providing a bridge to English proficiency. The goals of the ESL program are:
Use English to achieve academic standards in all content areas.
- Use English to interact in the classroom
- Use English to obtain, process, construct, and provide subject matter information in spoken and written form
- Use appropriate learning strategies to construct and apply academic knowledge
- Use appropriate learning strategies to extend their academic-linguistic integrity
Use English to communicate effectively in a social setting.
- Use English to participate in social interaction
- Interact in, through, and with spoken and written English for personal expression and enjoyment
- Use learning strategies to extend communicative competence.
Use English socially and in culturally appropriate ways.
- Choose appropriate language variety, register, and genre according to audience, purpose and setting
- Vary non-verbal communication according to audience, purpose and setting
- Use English to interact in everyday life